Monday, February 16, 2009

Diary of our College Lifestyles (TM) Director at MGCA!

The following is the account of College Lifestyles Director, Shelly Marie, at MGCA, which was held this past weekend in St Louis.

Thursday:

‘Being a dietitian, I was sure to pack my travel bag with healthy treats, including Clif, Zoe, and Luna bars, as well as my homemade trail mix.

Shelly’s Homemade Trail Mix:

Evenly Divide the Following in a Ziploc bag:
  • Cheerios
  • Dark Chocolate Chips
  • Pretzels 
  • Craisins
  • Bear Naked Granola (chocolate is my favorite flavor!)

After attending the professionals meeting, I took a ‘sneak peak’ of my presentation rooms! I was amazed! They were huge! I couldn’t help but think, ‘Will I fill these?’ I was to find out soon.....

After a delicious din-din with a fellow colleague, I retired for the evening. The conference was in full swing!


Saturday - presentation day!!!!

After sending best wishes to colleagues, (pic with Hajii Otto), it was show time!
















‘Real World Etiquette’ - my first session. I was so excited and carefully laid out my utensils (fork, knife, goblets). At 10:15, Greeks and advisors began walking in! I was thrilled! The presentation was a fantastic. Several questions were asked by participants including:

Is the dessert fork always placed on the table?

Answer: Not necessary. The fork may be provided on the dessert dish.

What if oil is on the tab
le instead of butter - what should I do?

Answer: Think the same as you would for butter. Still break the bread into small pieces before dipping in oil. The oil can be placed in your bread/butter plate.

‘Where Have all the Ladies Gone’ - my 2nd session. My favorite session! I always try to look back in history to find very poised ladies and encourage to think with more of a ‘Ritz-Carlton’ attitude!
Highlights include: One of my favorite quotes ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say then, don’t say it at all!’

On a more serious approach - questions revolved around:

Do we place our napkin on the chair when we are done eating?


Answer: First, look for a hook on the back of the chair. If a hook is present, then the napkin can be placed on the hook. If not, the napkin can be placed on the table to the left of the forks!

When the last participant left the room, I looked around and was excited, happy, and sad. Sad, because the event was over - I had such an amazing experience - happy because looking out in the audience and seeing individuals smile back at me was fantastic!!!

Sunday.....
Travel home. The good ‘lo airport. So many people/business persons/speakers/presenters complain of flying and the hassle. I can’t complain - I love the travel, and I love the airport. I have met some of the most interesting individuals in the airport while delayed waiting for a flight, as well as sitting next to me while delayed waiting for a maintenance check. I have also learned what NOT to do in situations, including yelling at flight attendants and ‘cutting’ line to board the plane. Shame, shame.

This flight was different in a positive way, I traveled back with a colleague (see pic)!














I arrived home, unpacked, and am ready for NGLA!!!!!

Catch the next installment of our directors diary of NGLA next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment