Tuesday, March 31, 2009
When we are finished our meal, place your utensils side by side (parallel parked) in the 4 o'clock position. The knife blade faces the plate, and the fork tines can be up or down.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Spring is almost here!!!!! Formals and weddings will be in the air soon!
Get started early! We found this beautiful purple dress from the Limited ($89.50). With an empire waist, this dress flatters most shapes and the light flowing A-Line style skirt layers out to flatter all! The details at the top draw the eyes upward!
Wear this find more than once - here is how!!!
1. Formal wedding - wear with hair pulled back (low bun), simple silver drop earrings, navy clutch, metallic strappy heels.
2. Formal #2 (glamour!) - wear with hair in light waves, gold bangles, animal print clutch, red heels.
3. Daytime formal - light weight cardigan, longer necklace (layered), rounded toe heels.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Spring is approaching; and what better way to welcome Spring than with a picnic! Many enjoy corn on the cob at picnics and bar-b-ques!
But, how do we eating corn on the cob properly? Well, first, avoiding ordering on a job interview! Here are the simple steps:
1. Spread butter along a couple of rows of corn.
2. Pick up the corn by the ears with both hands.
3. Bite off the kernels of the corn working from one end to the other.
4. Repeat steps!
Instead of acting like a fun vacuum when she was delayed at the airport, our director, Shelly Marie found a pretty decent snack!
As she says, 'These GenSoy chips were delicious! Quite crunchy and tasty!'
Monday, March 23, 2009
Oh, oh! Someone has made a serious etiquette violation on Twitter! Instead of rejoicing for a job offer; someone tweeted 'I will hate the work!'
Not a good idea! A worker of the company saw the post; and passed the tweet to guess who - the boss!
(Read more about the story here!)
Virtual etiquette tip: Keep tweets and status updates 'clean' and 'friendly.' Updates are not meant to be 'venting areas.' This includes vents about your boyfriend, girlfriend, job, recent divorce, break up, boss, the girl who stole your boyfriend, etc. The main point - we never know who is reading our updates!
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Our director, Shelly Marie, will be in Atlanta at SEPC this weekend presenting 3 programs! If you are attending, be sure to stop in a say hello!
Her 3 programs at SEPC:
- Real World Etiquette! (Where does your sweet-n-low packet go when you are done using?)
- Where Have all the Ladies Gone? (Learn the Mannerisms, Poise, and Class of Real Ladies)
- Body Image Makeover (Learn what exactly makes you shine - and yes, we are talking about figure flattering clothes!)
Well, no. (It's called lipstick for a reason!)
Before sitting to a fantastic glass of ice tea or water at your favorite restaurant, be sure to 'blot' your lips! We don't want this to happen (view pic!).....
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
One of our favorite dietitians, Kate Geagan, released her fantastic book today, 'Go Green and Get Lean!'
Go Green and Get Lean answers all your questions on eating to save the planet!
Here is an excerpt from the book:
'Blending scientific fact with fresh food ideas, Go Green Get Lean serves up the latest dish on moving to a fresh green cuisine as it opens readers’ eyes to the impact of their food choices on personal and planetary health. It’s nutrition with a mission. See how easy and delicious it can be to start saving the planet one bite at a time.'
Anything to save the planet sounds good to us! Visit her website for more information on her 'Green' book!!
When passing the salt and pepper to individuals, remember this tip:
'Salt and pepper are married, not divorced; they are to be passed together! When passing, place the salt in pepper in front of the individual INSTEAD of passing to their hands!'
Monday, March 16, 2009
Theses Starkist Tuna Creations are delicious!!!! (We really love the Sweet & Spicy and Herb & Garlic flavor!).
We found these at one of our favorite locations - Target - for around $1.50! Great for the dorm (in case you have a class during lunch)!
We enjoyed the Sweet & Spicy flavor today! Delicious!
BONUS: Tuna is a source of omega-3s - great brain food! (Be sure to have when you are studying!)
Saturday, March 14, 2009
College Lifestyles (TM) Director, Shelly Marie, prepared one of her favorite recipes at a National Nutrition Month Food Demo Seminar!
'It's no secret - I LOVE food, I LOVE chocolate. This is one of my favorite desserts.'
And from the look of the picture, the participants loved this dessert as well!
Shelly's Chocolate Layered Pie
- 20 Crushed Oreo's
- 1 package of Jell-O chocolate pudding (prepared with 3 cups of skim milk)
- 1 package of Jell-O vanilla pudding (prepared with 3 cups of skim milk)
- 2 containers of fat free cool-whip
- Chopped Walnuts (OMEGA-3!!!!)
- Banana (sliced)
1. Layer pan with crushed Oreo's.
2. Mix vanilla pudding with 1/2 container of cool whip.
3. Layer on crushed Oreo's.
4. Mix chocolate pudding with 1/2 container of cool whip.
5. Layer on vanilla pudding mixture.
6. Layer remaining container of cool whip on chocolate pudding.
7. Slice bananas. Layer on cool whip.
8. Sprinkle with walnuts.
9. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
It's no secret - we love Jason's Deli!!!
Typically, you will find our director, Shelly Marie, at Jason's Deli (or JD's as her and her colleagues lovingly call it) weekly!
Look at the great 'salad' creation our director made!
'I always order a salad bar, and I make the most colorful salad on the planet. I build according to the rainbow, greens, spinach, mushroom, broccoli, cucumber, red onions, red peppers, carrots, then I top with beans and feta cheese! YUM!'
What's next? Our own special....we will soon see!
Thursday, March 12, 2009
March is National Nutrition Month!!!
The American Dietetic Association was 'honored' today by ringing the NASDAQ Stock Market Opening Bell!
Our office was buzzing this morning as our director, Shelly Marie, text everyone she knew to watch the ceremony! Shelly states..
'I am so proud to be a dietitian! I was so excited to see my colleagues, as well as the wonderful words said by our president, Martin Yadrick! Watching the ADA president speak was quite emotional! Thank you NASDAQ!'
Click here to see the video and to hear the wonderful words of our president!
We ran across this article on msnbc.com 'Social Netiquette: When poking isn't polite!'
We had a great laugh from this article! The number 1 rule with social netiquette is simple..
'Treat others with kindness.'
But, we had some other laughs...
'Watch what you write in your status.' For example, don't get too personal - no one wants to hear about your divorce, break up, or stomach ache.
'Break up like a big kid.' Please don't write your ex is a jerk.
'Watch who and how your poke.' Poking every now and then is okay; but remember, throwing round house kicks and punches may not be nice.
To continue reading the article, click here!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
This ruffle style skirt from Express ($49.99) transitions great from winter to the spring! This skirt works great for class, business attire, and internships!
How to wear this style!
1. Winter badge/business attire (#1) - wear with a button up shirt (any color), studs, panty hose, pumps.
2. Winter badge/business attire (#2) - wear with a fitted sweater tucked out, skinny belt (around waist), opaque tights, T-strap shoes, hoop earrings.
3. Winter badge/business attire (#3) - wear with a fitted shirt, bolero jacket (go for a deep green), opaque tights, T-strap shoes, bangles.
4. Spring badge/business attire (#4) - wear with 3/4 sleeve button up shirt, pumps, studs.
5. Spring badge/business attire (#5) - fitted short sleeve shirt, scarf tied around neck, hoops.
6. Casual - fitted T-Shirt, light scarf, jeweled flip-flops.
Our candy jar at College Lifestyles is filled with dark chocolate! Why? It's great for our skin and for our hearts!
Have a piece daily! Savor it!
What is in our jar? Dove Chocolate! Why? Check out the picture!
Sunday, March 8, 2009
We LOVE scarfs!!! We found this great zebra print scarf at the Limited ($26.50!). Scarfs are a great investment, can be worn casually, to work (or intern), and out on the town!
Not sure how to tie or wear a scarf? The Limited has a simple 'tutorial' on the subject! Visit this link.
Wear scarfs with:
- Jackets (Spring/Winter)
- Coats (winter)
- Alone with tank tops (Summer)
- Dresses (dressy/classic)
At College Lifestyles, we promote healthy eating, not dieting or the word 'no.'
Our director, Shelly Marie says:
'When folks are on a diet, they turn into a fun vacuum. (Fun vacuum (n.) - 'suck the fun out of everything.') I see (and talk to) so many become more obsessive about what they eat and instead of having fun with friends, they turn to measuring, counting calories, categorizing good and bad foods, and dissecting labels. In turn, they fun vacuum their own personal life. They no longer have fun with friends, family, and school. And that just breaks my heart.'
And then she gets the question:
'What's the best diet? No this, no that.'
And she says:
'Fads don't work in fashion and in eating.'
And she is right - a study from the New England Journal of Medicine states the same.
How does College Candy come in? They wrote a great article on the same! Check it out at College Candy!
Saturday, March 7, 2009
We had to refill our pantry at College Lifestyles, so we took a field trip to World Market!!! Here are some goodies (and a treat!) that we picked up!
We love peppermint tea!
Cafe Du Monde coffee! (with Chicory!). It reminds our director, Shelly Marie, of home! (She is from Louisiana!).
Staying Positive on the Recovery Road of an Eating Disorder. (And a great Body Image project for Sororities!)
We found these great tip on Something Fishy (one of our favorite websites!).
Make a SUNSHINE BANK!
1. Plastic container, small pail, small basket, etc.
2. Paint markers or markers.
3. Index cards, card stock paper, or strips of paper. (10-15 strips)
4. Ink pens, pencils, colors.
1. Decorate the pail, container, or basket with paint markers/markers. (Use your own personal style)!
2. On index cards/paper - write each of the following affirations (directly from Something Fishy):
- Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.
- Though no one can go back and make a new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end.
- Never give up for that is just the time and place the tide will turn.
- If I have inside of me the stuff to make cocoons, then maybe the stuff to make butterflies is there, too.
- To be upset over what I don’t have is to waste what I do have.
- I hang onto my humor. I Don’t ask for permission, I just do it. I make everything fun!
- Today I will seek out things that are fun to do.
- I am curious, eager to try new things.
- I experience and express my emotions freely.
- I am creative and innovative
- I rest when my body tells me to.
- I learn enthusiastically.
- This is a new and wonderful day for me; there will never be another day like this one
3. Place all affirmations in your pail/box.
Use the SUNSHINE BANK on days that you need an extra dose of sunshine or positivity. Think of this as a 'rainy day fund.' Use on your rainy day. Or as our director says 'No one should rain on my parade.'
We want to hear your affirmation quotes!!! List them below!
(Taken from College Lifestyles program Body Image Makeover)
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
We ran across this article on yahoo.com! While it may not be the most 'professional' etiquette tips, it does go over some 'common sense' etiquette tips that, well, most of us should know. But, we do know offenders! (What is really funny is that we would say something to the effect of 'Yes, (insert name) is just like that!')
(If you are an offender, please apologize in the space below!)
Some of the worst....
1. Party poopers. This refers to the individuals who do not respond to RSVPs.
2. Line-up. This refers to the folks who get a little 'huffy' when in any type of line. This includes at the bank, grocery store, and post office.
3. ME show. This refers to the 'nermals' in the group, or as we like to coin, talk about only themselves!
4. Stealer. Think about this. You finally found a place to park, and someone cuts you off and steals it (and you are late for class!)
For a great laugh, continue to read the article at
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
'Always Express Gratitude!'
Every week, make an attempt to send a 'hand-written note' to someone who did a great deed! Maybe it's a sorority sister who listened to you vent, a study partner, cookies from mom, a co-worker who took an extra call or shift, a great hug from a significant other! Be sure to give thanks!!!!
(Taken from Real World Etiquette)
Out on an interview over a meal?? It is considered 'rude' to open your menu once seated. (It is even considered unsociable!). Wait till your host (boss) opens, then follow!
Monday, March 2, 2009
We love this Empire Waist Dress from Forever 21! Why? It transitions from Fall to Winter to Spring! A flattering cut - the empire waist and V-Neck draw the eyes upward, and the finished hem gives the dress structure!
Here are our different ways to wear this great find!
Finish up Winter by:
- To class: Wear with heavy tights, riding boots, a thick scarf, and hoop earrings. Top with a 'shorter' style jacket or military jacket.
- Going out: Wear with black tights and metallic shoes! (Great statement!)
Ring in Spring by:
- Class: Top with a jean jacket, lighter material tights, flats.
- A warmer spring day: Top with a light scarf and sandals.
- Boho: Wear with long, layered necklaces and T-strap sandals.
- Jet Set: Pick a colorful scarf and use as a headband, Jackie-O sunglasses, and bangles.
We start the day off right with our 'special oatmeal.'
Who says oatmeal is yucky??? Not us!!! We add our special ingredients to make it yummy!!!!
Here is what we added to our rolled oats (we love that Central Market sells this in bulk, but look at Quaker or your local grocery store brand). Just a note, our director loves her oatmeal with milk; others add water.
- Dark Chocolate Chips (we love chocolate - plus it helps in keeping our skin clear!)
- Golden Raisins
- Brown Sugar (one spoon)
- Granola (Bare Naked)
(More recipes are in our book, Eat Well and Be Fabulous: A Guide for the Modern Day Woman!')
Sunday, March 1, 2009
It's no secret - our director loves food! More than that, she loves to cook and share her cooking skills with others (the reason she became a dietitian is because of her love of food and teaching others to love food). Fear that you can't cook??? Look at local grocery stores and even courses offered at your school on cooking skills! Unleash our inner chef goddess!
Her Saturday night appetizer! (Adapted from Food and Wine magazine) Use this same recipe and impress one a special date or your family on spring break.
Served with Kashi crackers!
Warm Camembert with Mushrooms
Camembert Wheel (look in the deli section of any grocer store)
Mushrooms (look in veggie section)
Sage (look in deli section) - 2 leaves/chopped finely
Walnuts (buy in bulk - snack on the rest during the day)
Parsley (look in veggie section)
1. Preheat oven to 300.
2. Unwrap cheese and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. While baking, heat oil in pan. (about one spoon)
4. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
5. Stir in parsley and sage.
6. Remove cheese from oven.
7. Place cheese on serving plate.
8. Top with mushroom mixture!
Our director, Shelly Marie, appeared on NBC KTAL on Friday to discuss, what else, healthy eating! Specifically, she discussed healthy eating under a budget (great for everyone - from students to professionals!)
Here are some of her tips she discussed on air:
1. Look at buying store brands in bulk. Basics like cereals, oatmeal, and peanut butter may be cheaper in bulk.
2. Look at a 'meatless' meal - adding beans to your salads or red beans/rice is a great way to save.
3. Look at purchasing a water bottle and refill during the day.
4. Frozen fruits are great to add to yogurts and oatmeal.
Look at her beautiful on-air display!